Thursday 2 January 2014

Myriad Experiences: A Vault of Verses




If you should see/a man/walking
  down a crowded street/talking aloud/to himself
    don't run in the opposite direction
     but run toward him/for he is a poet!
      You have nothing to fear/from the poet
        but the truth.


'Voice in the crowd' by Ted Joans
From American Poetry
©1963 Arna Bontemps (Ed)

In memory of
Uncle Martin

Dedicated to
Juma Magogo aka Mbunge
Titus Opere aka Nyakwar'Opere
Abubakar Seif aka Antagonist

With you I shared a room at the Njoro Campus of Egerton University and perhaps,
 some of these myriad experiences




NEITHER DO I
(In response to Dr. Fugich Wako who once asked me who I write for)

Neither do I write for poets
Nor for elites.
I write for the masses
For they are my bosses.

In dream we share
In reality we stare.
With no intimidation
With no hesitation.
Ergo, in future we hope
For what is now, beyond or scope.

Neither do I need to be imprisoned
Nor receive baptism by fire
To know the graveness of gaol
Or be able to utter
In internal groaning
Prayers, for future generations.

Neither do I need to be simple
Nor speak as a cripple
In unfolding the folded, for simplicity
Is but a complexity, of simplicity.

Otherwise, about my Yahweism:
I am a nightingale
Perched on a cashew branch
Between a princely parrot
And an ominous owl.
Their voices is mine, but a blend
To remain mine, a trend
Till mine becomes, the trend.


I LOVE YOU BECAUSE
(For the late Mrs. Njagi, the oldest woman I ever met in my life; but also in response to a call in 2006 by KISS F.M who asked listeners to write a poem to their loved ones on Valentine's Day starting with the line...I love you because)

I love you because
Your stooping posture
On the three legged stool
Kept for you outside
Your shredded hut,
Is a symbol of resistance -
A defiance to the end of things.

Even as the sun bows
And you are turned
To hog its warmth
I see in thy eyes
A life that has better been
Celebrated in loneliness.

If I be your valentine
This season
I'll take you to Shangri La
There -
At the promised land
Where -
In an idyllic aura
I'll feed you with milk and honey
As you tell me
The Achilles' heel to death.



WHEN I BE
When I be a writer
I'll put down on debris
Of white papers
Illusions -
In black and white
Sighs of my soul -
Out of the sapphire blue sky.
Songs, that lull me
To sound sleep.
Dreams that open
Tightly locked doors.
Promises,
That conceive novel days
All these at once
When I be a writer
Accomplishing my dream.


ROSE
Oh my
Red ready rose
I hold you in these
My poor palms.

Should the sun
Shoot bright light
Bringing all the flower beds
Down
Let your petals
Remain
Wide open.

But oh
Red ready rose
Should you whither
As I hold
Let me not behold
What love has
Ever
For a poor lover.


MY GRANDPA
My grandfather has dimples
He goes to club dimples
He drinks but never stumbles
Like a gentleman he never grumbles.

My grandfather is the fittest
With a heavy pocket he's the fairest
That's why I call him the sweetest
And the world's loveliest.


My grandfather plays Dolly Parton
When his heart is torn.
He says, "When I listen to Celine Dion,
I remember the day I was born
For my heart goes on...and on...and on..."

My grandfather has the mood
To make you feel good
Everyone in the neighborhood
Calls him Lord.

My grandfather is the master
When you have a matter
He'll assist you perform better
Cheering as you glitter.

Nothing but the truth
Is said by my mother
And her mother
About my grandfather.

Listen, my grandfather is in bed
For him that we made
Within the homestead.

My grandfather...is dead!



DAYS OF OUR LIVES
In the days of our lives
We meet and sit
And eat and part.

We learn and run
And pant in the burning sun
We toil, till we're done,

In gossip we partake
Putting our faith at stake
We picture not, our mistake.

In the day we swim
At night we dream
Unless we're lame.

We sin, singing in skill
And grill and kill
And pray still.

We do all, haphazardly and comical
Yet like this recital
Only rhythmically meaningful.



STARE AT A DOG
Stare at a dog
Stark naked as he may be
But blush, he will not.

Flatter him
To cover slightly
His muscular hind thighs
He stares back
With bored eyes.

Crack laughter later
Attempting to make the saga better
That is when he will become smarter
And sit in comfort.

The human personality
Is of the same commonality
When you query the normal
You become abnormal.




THAT PLACE

(This poem was inspired by a visit to the Flamingo Camp)


A remote but exquisitely exotic
Haven. Sitting at the bottom of a rock
Valley. It's a mere stretch from the highway
Perhaps in keeping the mundane away.

There are these little feathery creatures
Little as aligned to other world measures.
They talk  to their God in a caucus
Murmuring without the likes of us in focus.

You move closer and stir their silence
Or if you stand still and kill their patience
They fly away to hide their real self
Whether they are made of white or pink stuff.

And further afield the hills kiss the sky
Some like sand dunes not so high
Some like the pyramids so narrated
As part of the chronology of every that God created.

But it's the waters that bring the serenity
The breeze from there washing away guilty
Feelings. And what's fair to all is ideally ignited
And you a pilgrim is spiritually uplifted.

This poet who was there once
Sat and ate in a chat with no dance
His thoughts taken back to an epoch of romance
Invites you to sojourn if just but once
And feel what it feels, to be in a classical stance.


A WOMAN RE-CREATED
A woman arose from ashes
Having lived there for a good time
And a mold was made out of her
Who was in the past seen as dust.

She had first appeared as a fuel-tender
Cast in the image of a soul sought after,
Though calmly on her face -
That carpeted burns beneath.

Then she was told to go
Having woken up
From a racket of lusty reeds
To get her complete self.
 
She came back though
Claiming to seek refuge
Against unwelcome winds
Straying her land of birth.

Then she was sent back again
This time with a Lot's caution
That whoever looks back
Will turn into a salty block.

But she came back with a claim
That the last taste of the illicit intimacy
Was the same salt she had come to lick
At a time she had already become a baby's bait.

And that's how she was domesticated
And that's why her re-creation was reconsidered
And that's when her inner self resurfaced
And that's where she is, here she is, re-created.


A POST COLONIAL POEM
(An inspiration by one Onesimus Kipchumba Murkomen)

They came here in the early 1980's
In the name of SAPS
They perched on our flag posts
Then started shitting on our social welfare.

What they aimed to adjust structurally
In programmes planned without our consensus
Was sooner than later maladjusted.
So no sooner had we discovered their moves
Than they repackaged their ill motives
Then came back in the name of
Economic recovery strategies.

A hawk is better called an eagle
If its name should be changed.
These were birds of fate, this you should know
Very far from our beautiful peacocks
Or the good fortune albatross.
So next time your governor
Signs cheerfully a bail out cheque -
In front of local and international cameras:
The latter cheering with him
The former caught up in ignorance and fate
Not sure whether to cheer, jeer, or better cry
Next time
Think of the layoffs even in key sectors
Since his signature says yes to conditions
Of economic surveillance
Among other ways of maintaining the dollar gold standard.

But always remember he was nowhere
When the global rivalry was rolled off
At least twice
Leading to what even his people participated in
With no idea of what it meant
Lest you blame him for the plans
Laid down in 1944.


MYRIAD EXPERIENCES
This poem was inspired by Wole Soyinka's, 'Idanre'
 
There is a valley:
There is a valley in cast off country
Where, while in my virgin veil
I long to be
And be with others of my make.
Where I will shout without being booed
As I gulp a full fill of the earth's stinky surrounding
As my kinsmen ululate:
Welcome angel
Receive your celestial casuistry.
Then after swimming in the springs
That stretch to irrigate the creative veldt
I will journey up
To reach the apex
Of the mountain the valley baby sits
Where on top I will shout my voice to the top
And the world will tremor
With such an invincible tone.

The dream:
The dreamer got his dreams
And the dream was spelt,
When I went to stay
At the African Olympus Mountain, as I pay
Homage, to those whose poetic fame is grey.
The Bards appeared
In their true totality
And before they disappeared
I requested to be heir, to their revered
Creative haven. They answered:
Take from us what you want
And make from it, what others thought you can't.
As for now child, descend to your town
Where from you'll get what for you whine.

The transfiguration:
Their word I obeyed
Thus down I journeyed
Only to meet three faces
At the mountain's base:
An African literary laureate,
An obscurantist poets poet
A voice that condemned Africa
To literary desertification.
From them came a chorused command:
Unfold your folded!
To which the reply was
I am a cub
Pawing, pouncing, proclaiming
My tigritude
Which has nothing to do with
Colours connotating Negritude,
But just a way of capturing contemporary African hood:
It's the point where
Black Ideologists
And Negro Realists
Meet.
I shall accept the awards you rejected
Not because I suffer from avarice
No!
The African nature that always gives
When given, always receives
Thus strives
To reach literary afforestation.
They gave me a long stare
That made their second question bare:
Who are you?
I said
Lois begot Eunice
Eunice begot Timothy
He of the epistles
Who through loyalty to the good news
Believed in the power of the word
Through the faith that was handed him
By the two great women
A slave he became
A combat in the best combat
To succumb like He
Who wore your Albatross and mine
On his neck, to save us from the shame
He who succumbed untainted -
I am the Timothy.

Priscila  dies:
Leaving them to conjure up their hay days
I went my own ways
And lo!
Another terrible sight
Another terrible plight:
A cock and an owl compete
For recognition, as I cross the village gate
One to usher a new day
The other to bid farewell
To a development conscious mind
That was shifting to the land underneath.
With melancholy her cows mooed in their pen
Chanting a confused concerto
That marked her departure
And that of another of their kind
That was to follow to mark her send off.
Her daughters stared in confusion
The tug of war between the Akamba and the Abaluhya
In determining who deserved to see her off:
The former having been there in the beginning, briefly
But who as tradition dictated deserved it
For they paid the three goats, in the beginning.
The latter having been there in her hitherto ups and downs
Having been there in her rise and fall
Wanted to be there in her final journey
In the name of love till we are done part.

Pindua goes home:
This disgusted Pindua
Even as he staggered home from the night long harambee
One could see in his eyes the vexation
"Who deserves the right to the dead?" he lamented in a question
"Is it the one with whom she had her first born
Or the one with whom she had her last
Is it the one who broke her hymen with primal libido
Or the one who saw her past menopause -
The one who took her for a walk and massaged her
To relieve her of osteoporosis?"
It was when he was me, paused, and said
"Sorry, your friend is gone."
Then he continued,
"Great women are made of deeds
Their word is the seed
Similar to the believers' creed.
The womb of a heroine
Is not fit for a heroine's conception
That...was a heroine, beware of those who mar her fame
For all dogs tail wag, tail or no tail.
Better die struggling to survive than relaxing in relief
Chance is birth and death
It's born once with a mortal breath."
On matters of the heart he said
"Matters of the heart, leave them to the heart
Love is not blind
Love is an owl
It sees in darkness.
You talk of true love:
True love is only existent
Where external forces aren't persistent
We otherwise toil doctoring perceptions
Of what we call love
To fit feelings of the heart
As they daily unfold, full of emotions
If only we could focus
Some miles in to the future
To see the impossible.
"Are you not aware of the trapping triangle?
Listen: the eyes and the ears
Are liars
Where love is concerned
Especially where the heart gets in
Complicating the trapping triangle,
In a situation you had vowed
To emerge the victor
You become the vanquished."
H e then burst into laughter, dance, and song:
"Salome...Sally...Salome...
Salome has gone to the River Nyando
She carries on her tender cradle
The family's earthen pot
In which drinking water is always preserved
Salome...Sally...Salome...
Salome is back
Drinking water is back
Thirst is gone, life is back."
Reflecting is said
"An eel is the water
Drinking water for the family
Break the pot...?
Pour down the water...?
Kill the eel and poison the three...?
Oh Salome...Sally...Salome...
Salome's water is in the earthen pot
An eel is in the water
How do we assist Salome?
How do we save the society?"
Then he staggered away
The illicit cup still working on him a big way
Whence I thought of my grandmother:
I said
"Your cockerel has been chasing your neighbor's hen
Here they come, open the gates for them
And make her one of your poultry stock
Then shout to your neighbor and report
Her nanny's leg was broken by one of your own
And make the necessary arrangements."
She opens the gate, and we go in
And we live happily
There after.
 


3 comments:

  1. mmh? and so who are the masses; the onesyo write for? And are they the consumers of your writhing or are you their mouth piece? Vey good pieces, very good indeed. I am impressed by the tonal features

    ReplyDelete
  2. mankemu...I guess you are one of the masses...am I their mouth piece? I think the 'poet' in the 'poetry' ought to be. The 'poet' in the 'poetry' is the one who speaks for us all...including me...anyway, thank you for reading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like' My grand pa'...they are really good poems...

    ReplyDelete