Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Mistakes I made with Girls: A Chapter from my Autobiography


At some point in my life, I aspired to become a musician. I remember sharing this with my grandfather, the late Kisinga wa Ngumbi and we agreed it was the coolest thing to do.

It was in the evening and we were preparing a meal in the open at the farm of Wayua, a departed daughter of his. The farm is at the foot of the Shimba Hills national reserve, and several kilometers from our main home. We preferred farming at it, first because it was more fertile than my grandfather's land and secondly, so as to take care of the cash crops that had been left behind by Wayua, and then his husband who had since relocated to Mombasa to look for some kibarua.  

Well, I can't remember the year, but I remember it was that time when Katitu (M)Boys (M)Band was the 'talk of town' in my small village, Msulwa, with their Chokora hit, and Kasyoki the band leader was the envy of many a boy. That time I had not discovered the likes of Bob Marley, and the likes of Jaguar had not been born, at least on the music scene. So it was only fashionable, and fair, to say the least, to associate or to seem to be associating with Kasyoki when it came to music. 

I told him, "you will listen to me on radio one day singing like Kasyoki." He then encouraged me. But that I think was the last time the thought ever crossed my mind.

Later on, in life, I discovered another call. That of becoming a priest. I was by then a fresh student at St. Mary's Junior Seminary Kwale and in the chit-chat group that I belonged to, this discussion always came up. And while picking those who looked like they can be potential candidates for the Senior Seminary - read  Priesthood - I was always pointed at. After all, I had the curve and the gait of a clergy which included a simple and reserved life style as we so thought.

During holidays at our home in Shelly Beach-Timbwani, I would pick a circle shaped biscuit and a glass of juice and armed with the small red-covered missal I would force my younger sisters and any of our friends around to join me in celebrating mass. Of course with me as the celebrant. 

Whether a biscuit and the Eucharist are all made up of wheat, I later discovered that it was not the best thing to do, that is, comparing them and wanting to make the former fit as the 'Body of Christ.' But you also notice that I had none of those powers of making that which is made of wheat turn into the Body of Christ, Eucharist or not.

Anyway, I have no doubt that even the Papa himself, had he found me in the act would only wink and go away, very concerned, not because I was adulterating with serious matters, but because I showed the desire to grow in faith. 

I also had no doubt that even the holy angels themselves, would approve of such a childish indoor game than they would of the other  games, played outdoors, of father and mother aping that would often end with the loss of  some 'innocence.'

Yet that dream did not last for long too for one day, having lost a year or two after these Christly games, my benefactor, one Fr. Antonio Roberti of the Consolata Missionaries asked me, "Nikodemo, what would you want to become after you leave the Junior Seminary? Do you want to become a Priest or do you want to go the University?" I said, "I want to go the University."

The word University then sounded classic. It like was a beauty picked in the land of the fairy tales. How could I let her pass without a show of interest? 

Yet making it to the University was an uphill journey in its own rights. But I was determined. Then I sat for K.C.S.E, then we waited for results, then I was above the University entry mark that year by two points. So we celebrated with Fr. Antonio even though he wished I would become a priest. 

Then one day in the year 2001, around June (now I can talk of the years) I received an admission letter from Egerton University. It was signed by the then Registrar Prof. Nephat Kathuri. And I felt great. 

At that point no one had told me that you could still go the University and become a Priest later. So I kissed the dream good bye for good at time, at least inside me. And you know better than me, that, that which is dead inside you never shows outside you.

So having refused to follow the road less traveled by - that of Priesthood - I found myself getting ready to introduce myself to the world of the opposite gender. The world of girls. 

And this is what happened...(to be continued)

1 comment: